Sunday, April 3, 2011

Bowling, Drinking, and the need for designated drivers.

Saturday, April 2, 2011:  
So I missed my old friends and wanted to get together with them and also invite some new friends.  I thought, hey, we love bowling, there's a restaurant inside, bar, pool tables, open bowling, etc.  Family friendly fun, drinking is an option but not the main attraction, perfect. So I told all my friends a few weeks ago, show up at the bowling alley Saturday night and we'll all bowl together, it will be great.
But the guy working the counter said unless you want to shell out $480 for the 20 people who said they were coming, in hopes that they'll show up and pay you back, you can't reserve lanes. He put the 10 of us that were there on lanes 1&2.   I asked him to please try and hold lanes 3&4 for an hour till the other 10 people get here.   He said NO.   I guess he wanted to teach me a lesson for not bringing $500 with me to the damn bowling alley.  Instead, he'll just be remembered in my blog as the ASSHOLE COUNTER BOY ON A POWER TRIP THAT WORKS AT A BOWLING ALLEY. 

When the rest of our party got there, he put them on lanes #30&31, on the complete other side of the bowling alley!  What an asshole.  I was ready to move up from pitchers of beer to shots of Patron.

The beers were good, and Patron was chilled and flowing.  It was fun to be out, laughing, drinking, bowling, and most importantly, 
socializing with adults.

(cosmic night bowling had started and 
the black lights make our eyes glow, LOL)

I loved hanging out with old and new friends alike.  
It made me think of a song I learned in Girl Scouts:

                                  Make new friends,                                  
but keep the old,
one is Silver,
and the other's Gold.

I loved that part of the evening.  THE ONLY PART OF THE BOWLING GET TOGETHER I DIDN'T LIKE WAS THE BOWLING PART.  It really got in the way of my drinking and socializing.  I just couldn't spend the time with each person the way I had wanted to, thanks to power trippin counter boy, 1/2 of my friends were practically in another county on lanes 30&31!!  I don't have any pics of those friends, I didn't have a long range camera lens.

After bowling, any plans I had made for further drinking somewhere else or hanging out there shooting pool were out the window.  I had been drinking for 3 hours and was ready for food and bed. THOSE 6 BEERS AND 3 (OR 6) SHOTS OF PATRON from the bowling alley hit me at the BEST burrito place in Chicago, where we've went for 20+ years, LaPalapita on Milwaukee Ave.

My hubby reminded me how I, Bev/LUCY RICARDO, went into the bathroom, locked myself in it on accident.  He was on the other side of the wall in the mens bathroom and heard me laughing so he came and knocked on my door. 


I said, very loudly,  "UMMM, THERE'S SOMEONE IN HERE!"
Hubby said laughing, "YEAH, NO SHIT, ITS MY DRUNK WIFE, OPEN THE DOOR"!
I said (laughing), "Lorens, HELP, its me, I'm stuck, open the door". 
He said, laughing,  "I know its you, you locked the door on the INSIDE, I can't open it from out here.  You're gonna have to work it out by yourself."  


So I finally got the door open, after about a minute, which seemed like 5, looking all scared and relieved, he sees my face and started laughing again, making me laugh too.

Our food wasn't ready yet and I was embarrassed so I went right to the video games and start driving this Hummer through the streets of Vegas on the one game.  I never drink and drive so I had no idea how impaired someone thats been drinking gets until I played that game.  I was up on the sidewalks of the Vegas strip, destroying everything in my path, even running down pedestrians.  Then my hummer was upside down, crashed, GAME OVER.  Hubby was laughing at me, with his 'I told you so' look that I had too much to drink.   I told him this game must just be a lot harder than it looks.  


To show me, no Bev, its not the game, its the alcohol in you, he played the next game on it.  He stayed on the road, went through all the obstacles successfully, got highest score ever, even got to put HIS INITIALS on the license plate!  He said, "See honey, this is why people need designated drivers, EVERYONE SHOULD PLAY THAT GAME BEFORE THEY DRIVE.  IF THEY LOSE, THEY SHOULD CALL A CAB." 


We ate our burritos there.  They were the BEST STEAK BURRITOS I EVER HAD IN MY LIFE (OK, well, the alcohol may of had to do with that too).  


But at the time I felt like I was eating food made in heaven 
by angels, 
with halos, 
playing harps, 
with a choir singing and everything.


Hubby drove home, I slept like a baby all the way, glad that tonight like always, he was my designated driver so I could be his designated drinker. <3




4 comments:

  1. from pattty: (one of the bowlers &"oldest friend in the world"

    3 shots MY BUTT!! i had a wonderful time and i cant wait to do it again.

    lmfao!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 3 shots in an hour maybe and then another 3 later on. :-) All I know is, Bev, when you drink...everyone needs to wear a helmet and suits of armor, or learn to duck and roll. LMAO Had a great time and look forward to another get together. We can do it at my house...people can crash here for the night. Plenty of room at the Inn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. bummed I missed if SFAM - next time for SURE - funny story, but not much on the actual BOWLING part I notice hahaa, all about your condition, and now someone else mentioned the battery you inflicted LMAO! Whoo, I will remember my gear when we hang out w/booze there xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I am known to talk with my hands. And I sometimes do turn into Lucy Ricardo when alcohol is involved. But its all in good fun. Can't wait to do it again (drinking & socializing, without getting locked in the bathroom or injuring anyone) You didn't think I meant bowling again, did you? LOL

    ReplyDelete